Monday, May 23, 2011

Nowhere to go but up.

I just finished refreshing the bottom end of the K7 motor.
Everything was removed; transmission, bearings, crank, etc... Then I hit both case halves with a liberal application of Simple Green and a toothbrush. Everything is now clean and shiny.

Following this I checked and replaced everything that needed it. A new primary chain and tensioner were required, the crank and case bearings were still in wonderful shape, and the gears and shift forks were flawless. The only real problem I encountered was that the thin disc on the end of the shift drum was bent. Well, that and trying to get the shift linkage all put back correctly.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the disassembly or cleaning process. That ordeal was a bit too dirty for me to do and operate a camera simultaneously. But here are some pictures of the finished product. New primary chains and tensioner installed, cases clean, and everything reassembled using 90w gear oil.

Next step is to soda blast the upper case, cylinder bores, and head. Once clean I'll assemble everything and paint the motor all together with the old hardware on there. That way I don't have to worry about masking any areas off. Then replace all the hardware with stainless steel hex head sockets and the motor will be good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment