Wednesday, June 29, 2011

No news is good news.

Sorry for a lack of content lately, I've been too productive (and pulled in too many directions) to update.
This post is dedicated to Chris ( He drove all the way down from MD to have me look at some carbs for him so I'd like to let him know that they're in good hands. So step back, hold my beer, and watch this.

Without further ado, I present some shiny things:

CB750 carbs; 2 early style and a set of PD's
Two were recently rebuilt with all new components,
the third, along with another set (not pictured) were just cleaned.

This set got the special treatment, they were hydroblasted.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stripping with friends!

Joey and I stripped down his K3 last night.

First he scrubbed the frame down with Simple Green and a brush to clean the dirt off.
He did such a good job I let him do the engine too.

Good job Joey!

While he was busy doing that, I sprayed the frame down with Klean-Strip and let it work it's magic.
This stuff is pretty cool. Just spray it on, wait 15 minutes, and wipe paint off. DO NOT get any on you though. It burns like hell.

Frame covered in paint stripper.
After a couple applications of the stripper the frame looked like this:

Stripped frame

There are still a couple spots that need some attention but I'll get that with the sandblaster.
I think the frame looks cool as bare metal with a little rust. But the patina isn't what we're going for with this build. We will hopefully be painting in the near future.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My driveway looks like Charlie Sheen's living room.

It's not what you think, it's just a lot of baking soda. I media blasted the Goldwing heads and cylinder gasket surfaces the other day. I did get a little soda in the oil passages and all in the water jacket. I managed to get most of it out but there's still a very thin layer clinging to the outside of the cylinders. I'll just flush it by idling the bike and having the water pump suck in fresh supply of garden hose water and spit it out down the driveway.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blown head gasket

Despite this catastrophic failure the oil is still normal colored and there's no damage to any components. I suppose pulling the head to get that fuel pump stud heli-coiled was the right choice after all.

I still can't source the oil leak though. There doesn't appear to be a hole or crack in the head after all.
The mystery of the leaky stud is going on the back-burner for now. I'm taking the head to have it heli-coiled tomorrow and ordering new head gaskets in the meantime.

**Update** Mystery oil leak was probably one of the gaskets between the head and mechanical fuel pump or the valve cover gasket most likely.