Tommy's motor is almost done being painted. There's no new updates since the last post other than I spent 4 hours sanding the left engine side cover (alternator cover). However, I was slightly less than lazy last night and decided to take some pictures. Here you go:
|The first attempt at painting this went horribly wrong.|
|So I stripped it all and sanded it down.|
|I wish I had taken some before pictures to show the|
nastiness and discoloration / pitting of the metal.
|After about four hours of sanding and steel wool-ing to a mirror finish,|
I realized the paint would NOT stick to that surface.
So, I had to rough everything up with a wire brush.
|The motor hung like this for the majority of the spraying.|
|At one point the motor came down to spray around these areas |
where the straps and motor mounts got in the way.
|There were a lot of very hard to reach areas on this motor,|
making it very difficult to apply paint evenly.
It took 4 coats and a LOT of sanding to get it right.
|Sanding the fins on the head and bottom case between coats was tedious.|
|Spraying between these fins turned out to be harder than expected.|
Most of the difficulty was due to my over-sized HVLP spraygun.
It was totally inappropriate for this level of detail and crevices.
|I even tried to sand off the tiny little bumps; imperfections left from |
the casting process. This proved to be insanely difficult
so I just left 'good enough' alone.
|I'm not sure why, but the paint went on a little thick right here.|
No worries though, that spot is completely hidden by the starter motor
|To be frank, the top of the motor |
turned out a hell of a lot better than I anticipated.
|Miraculously I managed not to get any paint in any of the threaded holes|
that I forgot to mask off.
|This should give you an idea of how evenly the paint was applied, |
even after four coats.
|We're not out of the woods yet. I still need to CAREFULLY peel off the|
tape from all the masked areas.
|Painting the socket cap screws without taking them completely off|
was hard but somehow worked.