The best way to prevent the loss of ferrous parts is to keep them bundled together with a magnet. In this case a rare earth magnet out of a harddrive.
After pulling the valve I checked for burrs, carbon buildup and any obvious damage.
The valve seats looked good and I didn't see any damage to the valve. There was a bit of carbon buildup though. The valve itself also had a bit too much play in the guide. It rocked back and forth about half a millimeter, which is WELL over the limit according to the FSM spec. A new valve will be taking its place soon.
I cleaned the carbon buildup from the exhaust ports. I'm debating on whether or not to port the intake and exhaust tunnels.
On a very serious side note, it is always good practice to wear safety gear when working on bikes; gloves, protective glasses, etc...
Little did I know that in this case the requisite safety gear for valve spring removal includes a cup. Yes, a cup, like the ones baseball catchers and football players wear. I had the valve spring fly off and nail me straight in the barracks. That put an end to my night. Recovery beer and a good night's sleep and I should be good to go at it tomorrow.