Friday, October 7, 2011

Carburetors EVERYWHERE!

It seems that I've seen a lot of sets of carburetors come and go lately. I think at any given time I have at least a dozen sets lying around.
Off the top of my head I think I've got

  • 3 complete sets of  '75 GL1000 carbs
  • a set of '78 GL1000 carbs
  • and a set of '76 GL1000 carbs plus a box of random parts/bodies.
  • 2 or 3 sets of early CB750 carbs plus a few boxes full of spare parts/bodies
  • a couple sets of later (PD42 A and B) CB750 carbs
  • 2 sets of XS650 carbs
  • a set of Keihin CR29's
  • A set of CB400 carbs
  • oops I forgot one; another set of PD42 B's (Elrich's F2 carbs)
  • I'm sure there's more I just can't remember.

I like to do multiple sets of carbs at once. That way I'm not wasting chemicals when I use my ultrasonic cleaner. I can just reuse the cleaner several times in a row on different sets of carbs. Because of this approach, sometimes the workbench can get a bit cluttered. Here's a little taste of my carburetor chaos.

I was given a couple sets of CB900 C carbs to build a single good set out of. I tore into them and discovered that all one of the sets really needed was new gaskets, an accelerator pump diaphragm, and a float hinge pin.
So now they're sitting off to the side waiting for parts to arrive in the mail.



This box makes it easy to keep everything organized.
In the meantime, I'll be rebuilding a set of '76 GL1000 carbs (Keihin 758 A's) So I can get my Goldwing ready for the Graves Mountain ride next weekend. These suckers are huge, there's a freakin' TON of parts and they are currently occupying my workbench in it's entirety.

Oh... just a couple spare sets laying around.



Yes the Goldwing has only 4 cylinders,
I pulled a couple spare carbs to scavenge for parts.
Like I said, this thing REALLY comes in handy.


No comments:

Post a Comment