Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Slide slide slippity-slide

So polishing up the slides that were on the '76 carbs didn't work out so well. I still have surging RPM's off-idle. Frustrated, I said fuck it and scrapped them altogether.

But I do have an ace up my sleeve.
I just pulled these beauties off a (for parts) set of 755A carbs.
See that scallop cut in the bottom of these? Yea that means they're more badass than the flat bottomed girls I yanked out. It also means they'll allow for more airflow, particularly at full throttle.

The best part about these is they're a complete set of matching tops and slides with no damage or scrapes.
They were a bit dirty though.




...and after 5 hours of polishing: (my forearms look like Popeye's)





The needles buffed out nicely.
I really hope these do the trick. I've been on a wild goose chase for about a week now hunting down one problem after another with this bike. This past weekend alone I've had the carbs on and off the bike 5 times.

**Update10/19**
The bike starts and idles fine, but still seems a bit slow to decrease RPM's.
I'm going to set the timing dynamicallty, then try and sync the carbs as best I can and see if that makes a difference. 
I already swapped the #115 slow air jets for #110's. It was quirky at first but eventually I got the idle adjusted and now it idles strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment