Monday, November 28, 2011

Time for new shoes; Joey's K3 needs to pass inspection.

So Joey's CB750 K3 failed VA safety inspection for a couple things: The taillight was out, the rear brake was out of adjustment, and the front wheel bearings were bad.
I'm still waiting on the replacement front bearing but over the Thanksgiving break I fixed the other problems.

I first assumed that the taillight was just burned out since it worked before. Nope, not the case.

How this happened, I have no idea.

Nothing my trusty electrician's knife can't handle.
I yanked the wires from a busted ignition switch I had lying around
 and soldered them to Joey's.
All done minus encasing the connections in hot glue to insulate them.

Next up is the rear brake shoe replacement.

Wheel off.
Shoes removed and hub cover cleaned.
Inside of hub cleaned and and roughed.
New shoes and springs installed.
Finally, the bike needs new front wheel bearings. I have a NOS rebuild kit I never got around to using, the only problem is it's missing a bearing. So I went back to Manassas Honda and ordered the missing part.
In the meantime, I pressed out the old bearings:

To say the retainer was a bitch to remove is the understatement of the century.
After a lot of hammering, PB B'laster, chiseling, screaming, and finally Dremel-ing followed by more hammering, the soft aluminum bearing retainer came out.

It looks surprisingly intact,
especially considering the amount of effort I put into destroying it.
With the bearing retainer removed the bearings pressed out, this wheel was set aside and replaced with a spare until the new parts arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment