Monday, November 21, 2011

Wash and media blast the XS650 motor

Here's something you haven't seen in a while. Tommy and I pulled out his XS650 motor from the shed and hosed it off. After it dried, I nailed it with the soda blaster to get all the rest of the gunk, rust, and corrosion off.
The majority of the gunk got scrubbed off with Simple Green.
The harder to reach spaces got the soda blaster.

I wish I had taken 'before' photos. This motor was all sorts of dirty.

In order to get the whole motor I had to remove the starter. I quickly found out that doing so means the motor is going to void itself of oil through the starter gear hole and had to rush to put the motor over a catch pan.

Impromptu oil change, when I noticed oil spilling out of the starter hole.

Next step is paint prep and paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment