Monday, September 19, 2011

One of these things is not like the other one.

One of these things just isn't the same.

Front left carb body
Back left carb body
Back right carb body
Front right carb body

Some words of wisdom from the man himself,
"Unless you know the entire history of a bike, you can't rule out that a previous owner made an ill-advised carb and/or engine swap. Believe me, this happens all the time. 
-Randakk 
Truer words have never been spoken.

According to Randakk's Tech Tip #32, this guy broke 2 of the 3 carb swap rules in one fell swoop.

2. Never mix carbs from late series to an engine in the early series. (the 769A's are from the 1978 GL1000)
3. Never mix carbs within one rack that have different codes.

I think I'll write a letter:
Dear Previous Owner,
Fuck you.
'Ignorance' does not even begin to describe your despicable actions. I hope the future holds for you, a fate worse than death. 
Yours in Christ,
Charles

3 comments:

  1. I feel you.
    Check out the idle adjustment "post" I found on my carbs while rebuilding:

    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/BayStateRoots/Motorbikes/IMG_0526.jpg

    I think it's a mixture of gum and Play-Doh with a hair spray hardener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Moto-Mucci - haha yes I've seen that and it killed me inside.

    The PO of my friends xs650 decided that Gorilla Glue was the best way to put his bike back together.

    Carb boot leak? No prob, Gorilla Glue.
    carb gaskets? psh, Gorilla Glue.
    Stripped bolt? Gorilla Glue.
    Leaky head gasket? Replace it! haha j/k Gorilla Glue.
    Apparently nothing wrong with this part? Gorilla Glue it anyway for good measure.

    ReplyDelete