Monday, July 4, 2011

Well that didn't last long

Just hours earlier this bike was actually in one piece and running.


The 76 GL1000 crapped out on me yesterday. It ran fine for about a day and a half before stalling out.
I'm unsure as to what caused the problem but basically it refused to start. Then it started but kept cutting out and wouldn't run above 3000 RPM. Finally It decided to start and run long enough for me to make it back home.
I suspect bad gas or maybe some rust made it's way into the carbs.

I'm not taking any chances this time though. The tank got pulled and is current-ly (see what I did there?) undergoing electrolysis. The carbs are going to get pulled soon and a double check of my valve lash adjustment and the entire ignition system is to follow.

***Update***
The symptoms described in this post were caused by a faulty ballast resistor.
See: This post about the ballast resistor for the remedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment